The Wheard on My Mother: Addiction, Prostitution, and Inspiration [AUDIO]
That’s a picture of my mother and my younger sister at her high school graduation. I thought my mother would be too high to attend, but she was clean for 17 months when this picture was taken.
Hi, I’m lilD.
My mother was on crack from 1988 to 2009. She had 4 children and didn’t help raise any of us. I’m the oldest of her four children, and I’ve seen her high, I’ve seen the crack house she called home, and I’ve been left disappointed when she promised to “come back” and finish watching a movie with me, but was gone for months.
I prayed every night: “Jehovah, please help my mama get off of drugs. Thank you for the 2 days she was here. At least for that time, she wasn’t high, or having sex for drugs.” I remember that prayer. I was 8 years old.
My prayers were answered on December 5th, 2009. That’s the last time my mother smoked crack. From age 19 to 40, my mother stole, sold herself, and more for money for her high. Now she has 2 jobs, a car, a house, a cell phone, an email address, a Facebook page, and the respect of her peers, family, and children.
If you have been affected in any way by addiction, I hope in some way this helps you.
For your reference, here are some things you’ll need to know:
- My mother and I call the same woman “mama.”
- Marshawn is my younger brother. The 2nd oldest of 4 kids. Merwin and Spring are my other younger brother and sister.
- My mother was born in Shreveport, LA, and when she refers to Springfield, she means Springfield, MO, where she lived for 5 years.
- Morris Wayne is her ex-husband and father of her two youngest children. They lived in Springfield, MO together.
- Ronnie is her current boyfriend. They’ve been together for several years. She met him while she was doing dope, and now they’re both clean.
Her story is below:
“Addiction is a hard road to travel but soberity is the rainbow at the end of the road.” – Venetia Porter
Fatal error: Uncaught Exception: 12: REST API is deprecated for versions v2.1 and higher (12) thrown in /home/content/35/8536735/html/wp-content/plugins/seo-facebook-comments/facebook/base_facebook.php on line 1273